Sunday, July 18, 2010

Nothing New Under The Son

Some twenty-odd years ago, I participated in my last week of Daily Vacation Bible School (DVBS). The Chelten Baptist Church DVBS theme that year? Son Seeker Safari. Frighteningly enough, I still remember a good portion of the theme song and accompanying hand motions. (Amazing what your brain hangs on to). This past week, Anna participated in her first DVBS program and I found that there isn't much new under the sun (or Son if you're going with the single most overused DVBS play-on-words known to man). The theme for her DVBS program was "Kingdom of the Son: A Prayer Safari." Eerily familiar... as were the cotton ball & pipe cleaner-laden craft projects, the 1980's-esqe pop melodies, and the adorably disorganized closing night ceremony. Typical Heebner blog sarcasm aside, I will say that Anna absolutely LOVED Bible school (thanks again Katie for inviting her!). And I loved watching Anna's unbridled and completely unselfconscious enthusiasm. There's something wildly endearing about the wonder and abandon with which a toddler approaches new things and people. She has no fear, no worry, and no expectation of disappointment. If only we could all experience life like a three year old does! So, without further adieu, allow me to present a video from Friday's closing ceremony. No need to strain your eyes to find Anna in the group. She's the one right out front...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious. I was laughing out loud!! Aunt Nancy

Jase and Melissa said...

Um, I thought the last one (circa 1989) was "the fruit of the spirt is love, the fruit of the spirit is love..." I could go on. Sweet memories. Well, sorry my kid bailed on Anna. I guess she's not her designated wing-woman at this point.